Sunday, February 12, 2012

Access to Accessories

As a style blogger, it's a bit embarrassing to say that none of the clothes I own have come from my local thrift store. For starters, living in a fairly wealthy suburb limits the number of vintage and consignment stores in my area. Also, I would probably feel bad if I got something nice for a really low price when I could probably afford it, just fine. The thrift store has become a powerful staple in today's fashion, but how can you accommodate vintage or thrift items into your outfit without becoming solely dependent on them?

The answer is simple: Accessories.

Actually, accessories are the perfect thing to spend five dollars on, which is why I so despise brands like Bulgari, that pass off accessories as an investment worth your entire month's rent. Cheap accessories are so accessible that sometimes it's almost ridiculous what ten dollars and forty five minutes can buy at Forever 21.

Forever 21 is probably my favorite accessory hub, full of eclectic and somewhat fantastical pieces that are sometimes very elegant and beautiful and are sometimes so tacky that you simply have to try it on. Perhaps my best find at F21 is a beautiful owl necklace with multicolor stripes and a gold chain. Even though I was wearing a plain black sweater and dark wash denim jeans, the $3.80 piece spruced up my outfit as much (if not more) than a $45,000 (no joke: http://us.bulgari.com/productDetail.jsp?prod=CL855975) Bulgari necklace ever could.

Another great find for cheap accessories: Icing. Tacky Claire's much cooler older sister, Icing has always been a personal favorite of mine, even though I haven't been there in a while. Much trendier and more desirable than Claire's, Icing has fairly inexpensive accessories, but the right outfit can give it a very chic and expensive look. But boo: Icing does not have an online store, so you can't "window" shop :(

Free accessories, you ask? Your mom's closet, I answer. I've always been a fan of accessory swaps, and since I have roughly the same sizes and tastes as my mom, it's not uncommon to see us switching clothes, accessories, that sweater that she has yet to give back and those silver bangles I stole for her.

Pics anyone?


1) got it off a local gypsy vendor in india. foreign countries=cheap jewelry. if you ever visit a rural country, buy some jewelry, you'll see a great variety of beads and colors.

2) Also from India, I love the swirly designs and I even have a pair of matching earrings!

3) Forgive me for the awful picture (I'm campaigning for a new camera!), but you'll have to respect me after hearing that I got these Asian inspired bangles for like 5 bucks. Super wearable and can easily switch from day to night.

4) My cheap faves all together! :) Also, a yellow beaded African bracelet, gifted to me by a friend.

Have you scored any cheap accessories? Scarves? Belts? Wallets? Hip flasks? Lettus know by posting in the comments with a link to your blog!

~emma

knockoffblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment