Thursday, February 9, 2012

The World of Fashion Blogging

I'll admit, I'm one of those people who finds a project, gets hyped up about it, comes up with a bunch of amazing ideas, realizes she's too busy, puts it on "hiatus", resurrects it one rainy day, laughs at how immature she was/is and deletes it. In case that wasn't specific enough, this is the case of my past blogs, which were unfocused, pretty stupid and uninspiring. I've matured since then, but even now, I fear that this will become style blog of adolescent's past and the knockoff will slowly slide down the tunnel of epic neglection (which is a word, blogger.com, so stop giving me the red squiggly). So basically: I'm SOOPER sorry that I was a no-show yesterday. Moving on...

I've always been a huge fan of fashion blogs. They inspire me to exercise my style and personality to their full potentials and they always make me feel better. Even though my best friend wrinkled her nose at Susie Lau's fabulous transparent coat and then expected me to do the same, I will not sacrifice fashion for anything, be it my reputation, my money (well...) or the way my mother adoringly looks at me (well...). It is beautiful. It is art. It's life.

Here are some of my favorite blogs and the stats, deets, tweets, twots, whatever...(haha, I know there's no such thing as a twot, I'm not 40, I'm 14)

5) The Sartorialist

Who doesn't love a good street style blog? Now, I know Scott Schuman's The Sartorialist ranks high on most lists, and although I find it very stylish and enjoyable, it's also pretty intimidating. His pictures are absolutely incredible, and I was immediately prompted to Google the type of camera he used. After a little research, I found out the Canon EOS 5D costs a few GRAND (like thousand). The thing I really love about some blogs is that they're relatable, funny and casual. The Sartorialist is a bit too sophisticated for my tastes and in terms of connecting with his reader base, Schuman does poorly. With his second compilation of photos coming out soon, he's a great example of a fashion blogger who made it big, but personally, I don't connect.

4) m loves m

I recently discovered this blog and there are a few minor issues with it, but it's actually pretty cute. The wedding and home section gives it a sort of home-y (not homie) and natural, rustic feel. The blogger's lookbook section is filled with cute affordable looks, but there are a lot of (AGH!) 'courtesy of's which I hate because not everyone receives the same courtesy. I guess you have to pay the rent. the frequent giveaways aren't bad either m loves m is super cute and it's a contender for refinery29's best new blog. So vote bitches!


3) the style rookie

Tavi Gevinson, former 13 year old, changed up her style a little bit. Her blog has become more of an Indie rant blog than it is a fashion blog, but I still love the artwork and photos she puts up. Tavi has always been an inspiration to me, probably since we're both young bloggers, and I love everything she does. Her style is so unique and appealing, no matter how rapidly she and her style mature. She is so hipster fabulous! Me gusta!

2) The Working Girl Esq

Preetma Singh is an editor at Vogue and her blog documents her career change after she quit law to join the criminal world of fashion. She really has very classy and sophisticated taste, a bit toned down from some of my other favorites. Her writing style is very easy to assimilate, even though she's so high up in the fashion world. My favorite thing about Preetma is that she re-wears! I often get mad at bloggers who never repeat the same items in their closet (besides solids and layers), but Preetma has rocked a pair of Proenza mandals several times, and quite fabulously.

1) Style Bubble

Probably my favorite blog in the entire world, you'll hear me mention the Style Bubble or its creator Susie Bubble several times. Her style is very quirky and eclectic but it's a bit amusing to watch sometimes. I suppose it's a bit funny that I adore Style Bubble so much considering that Susie is everything I'm not (rich, a fashion insider, British), but nevertheless, her comedic composition and her subtle modesty make for a great passage of time. People often stare at me in public when I open up her pictures on my phone in public, but I smile and nod, knowing she's more famous than they'll ever be.


So there's where I get my inspiration from. Hopefully I can make it as big as one of them. Sorry again about my little one-day vay-cay, it won't happen again unless I warn you it will, in which case it will.

-emma

NEW! Need: room decoration tips? prom dress consultation? bad advice about boys? a link to that designer I mentioned the other day? email me: knockoffblog@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment