Monday, February 20, 2012

FAQs and a Survival Sewing Storytime!

I can't think of any thing witty or moving to say, so let's address a few things

1) where was I?
2) where will I be?
3) the future of the knockoff?
4) ads?

Let's start at the very beginning (a very good place to start....i love the sound of music):

1) Where was I? I was at home, totally stressed out, bogged down by all this homework and other looming commitments. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I'm not as good at multitasking as I think I am and I really need to sort out my homework and school priorities before I try to commit to something like a blog. This brings us to:

2) Where will I be? I've given this a lot of thought and I realized that I need to find a creative outlet that I need to stay committed to for a while. It's going to be hard finding the time and inspiration to do this, but I love to challenge myself. Let's do this bitch.

3) The future of the knockoff? Well, I guess it'll stay alive. I need to work out a schedule, but for now, posts will be sort of spontaneous and unscheduled. I really want to make something out of this, and my desire to work in fashion marketing only fuels this more.

4) ads?! you may have noticed some ads on the side of my page. they shouldn't interfere with your ability to read the blog, but in case they do, send me a line (knockoffblog@gmail.com) and we can work on making you a little eyepatch for your computer screen.

so, my major problem is that I have writer's block. I think I'll try to do a few hauls, but hopefully, by the summer, I'll have a little more inspiration. I'm going to New York to crash with a cuz, so hopefully, I'll find some focus and direction for this blog. It's not ever going to be a street style blog because I feel uncomfortable asking people if I can take their pictures and I'm really bad at discreetly taking pictures. Maybe it'll be a haul blog (even though those are kind of annoying) or one of those take an old piece of clothing and make it something really cute blogs. HAHA, no. This reminds me of a story, which sounds perfect for today's post.

I have very defined hips, which is why anything with that sort of ruched elastic hem looks pretty awful on me.

Unfortunately, I hadn't realized this before I purchased a sheer, white Forever 21 blouse that fitted me perfectly and then stopped at the hips, where it awkwardly stuck.

I decided to use some survival sewing instincts and use the few sewing tools I had to remove the elastic hem and create a blouse that fit me well.

This is where the story becomes sort of amusing.

Step 1) Look around frantically for a seam ripper and realize that this is not Life Skills class and there is no "handy-dandy" closet full of seam rippers.

Step 2) Find the nextbest alternative: for me, it was my geometry compass.
Step 3) Admire how well you adapt to your environment

Step 4) Rip out the seams that look like they may have something to do with the problem

Step 5) Try to create an opening in the elastic hem

Step 6) Pull the elastic out and cut it.

Step 7) Play with it.

Step 8) Explain it to your mom when she finds a roll of elastic, a compass and a pair of scissors in a pile.

Step 9) Cut all loose seams and admire your excellent sewing.

Step 10) ^that's not me, but rock your blouse with boots and skinnies and call it a day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment